Steps To Take After Sending Money To The Wrong Recipient - By Hon. Cafra Caino

When you mistakenly transfer money to an account that you are not supposed to transfer money to, as soon as you get to know that you have made a mistake, you have to report it to the police.

The bank has no power to stop anyone from using his account.

So when you report to the police, you give the police your statement of account to show the transaction.

The police will fill a form and take the form to a Magistrate to make what is called a Bankers Order.

The magistrate will in chambers sign the bankers order freezing the account or ordering the bank of the recipient to disclose information about the owner of that account.

Then the order will be served on the bank within jurisdiction.

The bank would then co-operate with the police, release the particulars of the owner of the account, call the owner of the account and take steps to see that the money is returned to you.

If the owner of the account has removed the money, then the account will be frozen and he will be told to return it within a time.

If he fails to do so, he will be arrested and prosecuted, if he can be arrested, for stealing, because he ought to have known that such money is not his.

The offence was not committed when he spent it, but it was committed when he was informed that it was not his money, requested to return it and he fails to return it.

So, in order to avoid all these, cross-check the name of the recipient before pressing SEND.

Post a Comment